24 Sep Encouraging the development of gender equality and democratic culture in schools in serbia
The overall objective of the project is not only to educate and support, but also to shape behavior of pupils, boys and girls, aged 13-18, on the causes and effects of peer gender based violence by using creative and innovative educational techniques. These techniques will help development of the awareness of youth on the stereotypes and mechanisms of different forms of peer gender based violence. Boys and girls will cultivate a sense of mindfulness and self-understanding which will ultimately help in shaping their reactivity towards potentially violent situations.
Project Duration: October, 01 2018 – June, 30 2019
Location: Novi Sad, Kikinda, Zrenjanin, Čačak, Niš
Specific objectives include:
- Raising awareness and the level of knowledge of boys and girls on the unequal treatment of young people based on their belonging to different social groups.
- Adoption and use of various techniques of Forum theater (theater of the oppressed) where pupils can identify and express different thoughts and emotions, as well as define local issues regarding gender based violence.
- Development of emotional literacy: encouraging empathy for victims of violence and understanding of constructive and nonconstructive expression of anger and aggression.
- Education of pupils about the ways in which gender identity intersects with a set of different identities (ethnical, religious etc.) and thus leads to multiple discrimination.
- Development of the assertive communication skills with an aim to transfer knowledge about gender equality, as well as of democratic values onto peer groups.
This project was funded in part by a grant from the United States Department of State. The opinions, findings and conclusions stated herein are those of the author[s] and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States Department of State.